#35 Sam Sparro, "Black & Gold"



'Cause if you're not really here
Then the stars don't even matter

If I was the betting type, I really would have put money on this being much higher up on this list near the beginning of the year. For the first month of 2008, Sam was the up-and-coming act I was most excited about. "Black & Gold" isn't a song I think of as having lost any of its dark electro sparkle over the months--even finding out that it's about God has only increased my interest in it--so I don't think I can pin down why it isn't higher; instead, I'll just say again how much numbers are meaningless at this point and that #35 really is a reflection of absolutely loving a song, a song that seemed like it could be marking the birth of a brilliant new popstar when it first came out. I'm hoping he'll get a chance at a second album to live up to that potential.

Find it on: Sam Sparro

Followers