Should've known that dancing wasn't enough

Everybody makes fun of Luigi, blah blah blah, but there's no way on Earth I'm not going to feature his possible upcoming single, "Strangers Again." I've written about it briefly before (because it's by the guy who wrote Magnus Carlsson's "Walking In My Shoes," Velvet's "Sound Of Music," and Lutricia McNeal's "Same Same Same") and, now that the whole thing's out, I can't resist posting it (for a very short time only, though, given that if you like a song from an artist struggling to establish him/herself, it's even more important than usual that you buy it when it comes out).

Look, I completely understand the reservations people have about him and I'm not going to stand here and argue he makes for a brilliant popstar (given my so far only erratic attention to him, I'm hardly in a position to make a judgment), but it would just be silly for me to deny that "Strangers Again" is amazing--I returned to the clip of it over and over again, even more than I expected I would. Let's all be honest: if this showed up from some random Swedish popstar, we'd all love it...and, at least on this song, the vocals are fine enough (and it's enough of a fully produced sounding song that the vocals aren't starkly thrown into focus) that there's no reason that we shouldn't react in exactly the same way when this artist is singing it. If you wouldn't like the song in any circumstance, that's fine; just be consistent.

"Strangers Again" is a dance-pop song that's poppy as all get out, catchy, adorable, and with lyrics about a relationship that lasts the length of a song on the dancefloor. Ultimately, Luigi-the-character ends up wanting more out of the relationship than three minute of dancing, wants it to last--will we, the listeners, let the love affair last any more than this one great song? That'll depend on what comes out of the speakers next.

There's nowhere you can buy "Strangers Again" as of right now, but if you live in the UK, you can buy his earlier single, "Strobelight," here (digital).

Next up: maybe that American singer.

Followers