An unfamiliar face and the grass looks greener to you

Video check in!

Gathania's "Blame It On You," which I wrote about back when it was named "Blackout," is set for a UK release on June 15. The accompanying video has just come out. It's still the song, from the Von Der Burg Productions team behind September, which is the real joy, but how amazing does Gathania look in that leather outfit with her hair up in the laser scenes? I don't want to read too much into the video, which is basically just pop froth, but it is nice to see the whole "gorgeous girls flashing some skin" angle actually being ultimately used in a semi-empowering way--not, as I said, that this is some big statement that would hold up to academic dissection, but it's just a nice little change from what I was expecting.



I love the Catchy Tunes label--not all their releases do as well as they should, but I'm so grateful somewhere exists that enables great Swedish dance-pop to have a home. Despite probably all logic (well, it might do well in Eastern Europe), they've apparently still got some hope in Marie Serneholt's "Disconnect Me" (which I still think is better than most people think it is), revealing a video for the song. Sure, you won't be mistaking it for a big budget American or British video any time soon, but I'm mainly grateful that someone is trying to breathe some life into the song at all. Incidentally, the single cover for "Disconnect Me" is still surely one of the best of the year so far. Marie is and has the potential to be such a great popstar; I really hope she finds some success, be it with this song or one in the (preferably near-ish) future.



Everywhere else on the Internet has already written about VV Brown's strummy summery pop "Shark In The Water," so all I really have to say is this: yes, it's great. Out on June 8 in the UK, according to Popjustice.



Speaking of Popjustice, their line "That was simultaneously the most gay and the most straight thing we've ever seen" is exactly what I thought when I saw the UK version of the video for one of my favorite singles of last year, the '80's-sounding dance-pop song "In The Heat Of The Night" by Star Pilots.

Followers