I waited for you at the record shop

The title track from Blake Lewis's upcoming album: l-o-v-e it. My fears that this would be an indie-dance album that ditched all pop sensibilities apparently couldn't have been more wrong. The soundscape created is definitely electronica influenced, but the melody and the way the synths are harnessed couldn't be more pop--in other words, it's a perfect combination. We've only heard it in low quality so far, but even at lower bitrates, you can hear how it's going to sparkle. Beautiful and uptempo, it's the sort of song that fills you with energy--yes, it passes the "has me wanting to jump around my room" test--but tugs just a bit, only gently, at those heartstrings, too.

(This is usually where I would embed a YouTube video of the song, but it's not there yet. Listen by subscribing to his mailing list.)

My expectations for this album just skyrocketed. Could I actually end up loving it more than his debut? It's hard to imagine, given that I spun that record more than any other of the past few years (well, except maybe Erik Hassle's), but suddenly, hearing "Heartbreak On Vinyl," which just might be the most grown-up sound from Blake yet--and I didn't even realize I wanted any other sound from him until hearing this song and now suddenly know that, if this is the alternative, I do--I'm starting to think Blake might actually do it.

To preorder Blake Lewis's new album, Heartbreak On Vinyl, go here. It comes out October 6.

Followers