How did I ever see a perfect 10?

Yes, once again taken from the Popjustice forums, and usually I just let things go, presuming everyone else will have read about them there, too, but since no one's talking about it:



British girl group and former X Factor contestants Dolly Rockers performing "How Did I End Up With You?" somewhere. The important thing is the song. I usually think of the group's music as...kind of spastic, cheeky, and sample-including and, while "How Did I End Up With You?" fulfills the latter criteria (Propaganda's "Duel" and 3OH!3's "Don't Trust Me"/the same thing as 3OH!3's "Don't Trust Me"/just happens to have a section that sounds like part of 3OH!3's "Don't Trust Me"), it's much more controlled and melodic while still having the fun of the group's sound...well, as much fun as is appropriate in a song like this, which includes references to abuse and falling for a married man (so that would be only occasional hints of it). "How Did I End Up With You?" is melancholy and frustrated but with an insistent up-tempo semi-"American" sounding modern electro beat behind it--a bit like "Hot 'n Cold," for lack of a better reference--that means we're not talking about a "The Loving Kind" or "Untouchable" remake. It's a great catchy pop song, being serious without ever losing sight of that fact, and just the sort of thing I want from a girl group or, really, any act.

Dolly Rockers have yet to release their debut single, "Je Suis Une Dolly," but it's out July 20 in the UK (hat tip). Presumably "How Did I End Up With You?" will be on the following album. It's not on their MySpace--which I'm hoping is a sign that they realize how great it is and don't want it hitting the Internet too soon--but you can listen to several other of their songs there.

Followers